Late 17th century Italian religious painting
Ancient religious framed oil on canvas painting, depicting the four greatest doctors of the Church: Gregory the Great, on the right, with a robe pontifical, the Triregno and dove ear, symbol of inspiration Holy Spirit. Sant’Ambrogio bishop and patron saint of Milan, is depicted with Bishop’s robes, miter and pastoral. St. Augustine is represented without episcopal robes, with a large book in his hands to emphasize his doctoral authorities and the unquestioned wisdom. The iconography of Saint Jerome, on the left, is that of a hermit, but no cardinal vestment depicted with a red cape. The four Church fathers sit on a throne of clouds and are surmounted by a pair of cherubim of winged cherubs holding up the hat of the Patriarch. At their feet, in the foreground, we find a circle of angels with book, pen and ink holder in hand. We assume that this painting was the model for the decoration of a ceiling. On the back of the canvas there are two labels: the first is related to the restoration carried out in Dublin by William C. Nixon, restorer of ancient and modern oil, paintings, miniatures, etc. Established 1850. Studio, 14 Talbot, Dublin. The second is an expertise of Prof. Malagutti, C.so Monforte 15, orig.o Gaulli school pl. Battista Baciccia / or, Genoa 1639 – Rome 1709. (Antique dealer Pedrazzoli – Milan). The painting comes from a Milanese private collection in Milan, it is unframed, in very good condition.
height: 65,5 cm
width: 55,5 cm